Thursday, November 24, 2011

Proud Parents Moment


 Bryce gave his first talk in Primary this past Sunday!   The counselor from the primary called a couple of days before and ask if I would talk to the kids a little about Bryce and let them ask some questions before he gave his talk.   I did and it went really well.   The kids ask some great questions like, was he born like this, why is he always in his wheelchair, what is his favorite song.   When they ask that, I said well, he likes I am a Child of God which did not get a response from Bryce.   Then I said and he likes The Wheels on the Bus and he got VERY excited.   I guess the Wheels on the bus wins!   He seemed to be listening to what we were all talking about and multiple times he showed that he approved of my answer with a smile or giggle or an all over body wiggle (which he does when he gets really excited)!   He is SO in that little body of his.   It is so obvious when you talk with him.   He knows what he likes and doesn't.   He totally has a mind of his own!   I had to cut the questions from the children off, because of the time, but I told them that they (and the adults) could ask me any questions about Bryce anytime they want to.   I also assured them that they can not catch what he has and that it is good to talk to him because he understands what they are saying and he loves to be with other people.   The spirit was there and it was strong.

Anyway, so before Sunday, we set up his communication device so that all he had to do was look at it and the talk would begin.   I then put a little piece of paper over the eye gaze part so that he wouldn't restart it over and over like he had at home.   It was a talk on reverence and we had some little pictures to go along with it.   I helped him hold up the pictures as his communication device spoke the words.   He loved it.   He had a huge grin the whole time and would giggle each time we lifted up a new picture.   He did a great job.   I was glad that both John and I got to be there for it.   I wish you all could have been!

1 comment:

Dacia said...

What a wonderful example Bryce sets for the other kids! The communication device is the best thing ever.