Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Good-Bye Lisa

 Today I attended the funeral of a dear friend, Lisa Sawyer.  It was tougher than I had expected.  The church building was packed with hundreds of people who knew and loved Lisa.  The spirit was there.  I pray that her family will be comforted by that spirit throughout the difficult months and years ahead. 

I didn't know Lisa really well, but I loved Lisa from the day I met her.   That day was in March of 2004 when our family first moved to Queen Creek.  She was one of my first visiting teachers.  I was the mom of two young boys, ages 2 (almost 3), and 16 months.  I was 6 months pregnant with out third boy.  I remember her coming to my home with her young daughters and talking with me, sharing experiences with me, and helping me know that some of those overwhelming feelings I was feeling at the time were normal.  We became friends. 

About a year later, we moved to another home about 3 miles away.  Not far, but in the "Mormon" world, 3 miles can seem very far since that meant we were in a different ward.  As mothers of young children, we didn't really see each other much and soon it was mostly just in passing on some Sunday's in the halls of the church building.  Then, more buildings were built and the Sawyer's moved and Lisa and I saw each other less and less.  However, the friendship that I had with Lisa was one of those where you could go for long periods of time without seeing each other and then when you did, it was as if very little time had passed.  I loved visiting with Lisa every time I got a chance and looked forward to the next time that our paths would cross.  We would chat briefly and say that we really should get together some time.  I wish that we had.  She would always ask about our children.  She followed what was going on with Bryce and Annalise.  She was just one of those people who I always admired and really looked forward to talking with. There was just something special about Lisa. 

I will miss seeing her in the halls.  I will miss talking with her and seeing her smile.  I will miss the spirit that I felt when I was around her.  A truly wonderful person has returned to her Heavenly home and I will miss her until the day that I get to meet her in the halls of Heaven where we will be able to talk and laugh together once again.   I love you, Lisa!  You will be missed more than you know!

No comments: