Sunday, September 22, 2013

Proud Mom Moment

Today William spoke in Sacrament Meeting for the first time ever and let me tell you...HE ROCKED IT!  He did such a great job.   He made this momma proud! 

Yesterday afternoon he came to me and asked me if I had Brother Cooper's phone number.  I said that he did and asked him why he needed to call him.  He said that he needed to ask him some questions about the talk that he (William) was going to be giving.  That was the first I had heard about a talk, so I questioned him a bit further.  He said that Brother Cooper had asked him about a week ago to speak in church and told me what he thought the topic was.  He said that he had been thinking about it all week, but just hadn't told me about it.  Sheesh, kid!  Anyway, he then asked if I would help him with it.

I brainstormed with him a bit and helped him get it started and he took off with it from there.  Once he had it written he began practicing it.  He kept saying that he didn't want to just go up and read it and then that he didn't think he should even take his papers with him.  I assured him that it would be fine if he took some notes up with him just in case he got nervous or something and needed to look at something during his talk.

Well, we practiced many more times and it was really sounding good.  He was nervous, but I knew that he would do fine.  What I didn't know was just how fine he would do.  When it was his turn, he stood up and began talking.  I noticed that he did not have his papers with him and I'll be honest, I got a little nervous for him.  A little worried that he might need them sometime along the way.  But oh was I wrong.  That boy of mine (okay, John's too) stood up there, looking out at the audience, and shared his entire talk without even appearing nervous or using his notes once.  (I found out after church that he had put them in his pocket just in case) It's a good thing that you can't cheer in church because I may have just run up and given my boy a high 5 when he was finished.  I saved that for after the meeting!

William told me after church that he had been really nervous and that he was shaking through the whole talk.  He said that he just said a prayer, actually a few prayers before getting up and that he just knew he would be okay.   He said he was able to picture his talk in his head and he knew that he would have help as he spoke.

He received many compliments throughout the day.  What really impressed me was that a man from our ward who William does not even know very well called him, just to let him know how much he and his wife had enjoyed William's talk.  He told him that he was very impressed with how well he did and that it would be okay with he and his wife if William spoke every Sunday.  It was so sweet of him to do.  It made William's day! 

So for those of you interested in what William spoke on today, I will add his talk notes below.  I am so very, very happy with what a great young man our William is growing up to be.  He makes my heart happy!

1 comment:

laurie said...

seriously rocked it!! I was so amazed that he just kept talking and never once looked down or got that scared look on his face. His voice stayed steady and used voice inflection and everything!! Amazing ♥