Thursday, June 18, 2009

Twins?

Well, not exactly, but it does feel like I have two babies that I am taking care of. Even though they are almost two and a half years apart, there are a lot of similarities between them right now. It's only because of the challenges Bryce is going through, but it sure makes life interesting and tiring around our house. Much different than the other times I have brought home a newborn. Some of their similarities are: both are up multiple times throughout the night needing attention of some sort. Both need to be fed...day and night. Both are in diapers. Neither one of them can walk, crawl, sit,or roll over without support. Neither one is able to speak, except for Bryce's one word that he has said since we brought his little sister home. That word is "Anna"! AND...both are so stinking cute, cuddly, and irresistible that I just can't help loving them more than I could ever express! These two, along with my other three boys, are the best blessings I could ever ask for. I am so lucky to be their mom!


Bryce absolutely adores his baby sister. I was really worried about how he would handle loosing his spot as the baby, but so far he has done a fantastic job of sharing Mom. He loves to be near Annalise. If I am feeding her, he wants to be close by and just sit and touch her blanket or any part of her he can get to. If she cries, his head turns instantly to make sure he can see her and know that she is all right. If he doesn't see her, he looks at me with a look of concern until I explain that she is all right and that we will go get her, or that someone is taking care of her. When I change her diaper, he wants to be right next to her on the floor. The most amazing thing though is the fact that this boy, who has basically lost his ability to speak at all, has been able to say her name since the day she came home from the hospital. And not only once. Over and over for the past 3 and a half weeks. And always when he is referring to Annalise. We are lucky if we get a "mama" or something like that out of him on occasion and yet he says his version of his sister's name multiple times throughout the day. I don't fully understand it, but the one thing I know for sure is that there is a very special connection/bond between these two!

3 comments:

laurie said...

I'm sure it's challenging, but totally rewarding at the same time. They are both so precious and I'm sure will be great friends.

Unknown said...

That is such a great picture of Bryce and Annalise together. Is Bryce the only one that calls her Anna?

Tammy said...

For the most part it is only Bryce that calls her Anna.