Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 3 Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

While in Northern California, we went over to Vallejo and spent the day at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.  My sister and her 3 children came with us.  Unfortunately my Brother-in-law, Tim, had to work, so he wasn't able to come.  The day was warm, but we had a good time anyway.  I remember this park as Marine World Africa, USA but I guess some years ago they added some big roller coasters and it became Six Flags Discovery Kingdom--kind of a Six Flags meets Sea World type of place!







The tiger show was pretty cool.  Those are amazing animals.


OK, I'm going to complain here for just a minute.  As far as handicap accessibility goes, this park was the worst!  Enough so, that if we hadn't gotten in for free, I would have asked for the money back that we paid for the two little ones!  Before the trip, when I was doing the prep work and deciding which parks we should visit, I was so excited to go here.  They have a couple of areas that are designed for young children.  Most of the rides said that a child had to be of walking age to ride.  They also have water play areas and a big jungle land play area.  I figured that some of us could hang out and ride the little rides while others hit the big rides.  Unfortunately it didn't work out quite that way.  When we got into the kids area, Bryce instantly wanted to go into the big play area with slides, climbing things, etc.  We went over there, but of course there was no way other than stairs or rope ladders to get up to the top.  That wasn't a huge surprise since most playgrounds still do not have ramps to the top (although we have found a few that do!).  

So, we headed over to the rides.  The lines weren't too long so we got Bryce and Annalise out of their chairs and got into line for the ride shown above.  It is a boat that just moves back and forth a bit.  When we got to the front the guy there said that the kids needed to be able to walk in order to ride.  We explained their situation and said that we could just carry them onto the ride and sit them next to us.  He wouldn't let them on.  Said it was the rule...they had to walk.  So John and I got out of line with Bryce and Annalise and watched the others ride.  I was just slightly perturbed at that point!

Then we moved to the next ride which was the air balloon ride that lifts up a bit and moves slowly in a circle.  The lady there looked at me kind of funny as I carried Bryce on, but she didn't say anything.  We all rode and loved it.

Jacob, William, and Spencer enjoying the swings.  Bryce and Annalise don't have enough trunk or head control to ride this one, so we waved to the kids as they went around.

My cute niece Madi.

My other cute niece Lauren, and their adorable brother, Tanner, loving the swings.



Then we came to the Frog Hopper ride.  Annalise was SO excited when she saw this ride.  She LOVES frogs right now.  This ride also would not work for Bryce, so he and I waited while my sister took all the other kids into the line.  When she got to the front, she was once again told that Annalise could not ride because she does not walk.  She then explained her situation and the guy said she couldn't ride...she had to be able to walk.  I had moved up to the front of the line by then and my sister and I were both really irritated that they were not going to let her ride.  There was absolutely NO reason that she should not be able to ride this ride!  Anyway, we put up a little stink and Kim handed Annalise over the rail to me.  Annalise began to sob and say, "Froggie, I ride, I ride!"  My sister asked the guy again if she could just ride.  I even said I would sign something releasing them from liability or whatever they wanted, but I was not going to go through the whole day without letting my children ride the few rides that they actually had the ability to ride, just because they can not walk on their own to get to the ride!  Anyway, he finally called someone and after a bit, he said that she could ride. He was very apologetic and explained that he could lose his job if he had let her ride without getting permission.  I still think it is a lame rule, but whatever.  Annalise was able to ride, we were all happy!  We thanked him for making the phone call and then loaded Annalise onto the ride.  I think everyone involved was happy when the froggie started hopping!  

This ride really is cute.  The little frogs kind of bounce as they move around in a circle.  Annalise giggled the whole way through.  The other kids enjoyed it too.

Jacob, Kim, Annalise, and Spencer

Tanner, Lauren, and Madi

As we went on to the other rides, we would have the same issue, but once we told them that the guy at the frog ride had called and gotten permission for her to ride, they would let us on.  So lame!  The ironic thing is that there were signs posted all over the park stating that it was a handicap accessible park.  

This was a little roller coaster for the kids.  There wasn't much of a line for this one, so the kids rode it quite a few times.

The kids showing their "Extreme Danger"



And their sweet side.


1 comment:

Dacia said...

The kids (and adults) all look like they had a great time! You really need to get some pictures of you, though! It's sad the parks are more accessible for everyone to enjoy.