Tuesday, June 5, 2012

He Woke Up!

Something really weird has been going on with Spencer the last couple of days.  It started early Sunday morning when he climbed into bed next to me and told me that he felt weird.  He said that his legs felt wobbly.  A few minutes later he said that he felt like he was going to throw up so I went and got him a puke bucket.  A few minutes after that he said he was really thirsty.  I of course was still tired and trying to go back to sleep, so I told him to go into the bathroom and just get a drink.  Pretty soon I hear him say that he is starting to have a hard time breathing and I jump out of bed thinking, "oh no, here it comes, he is going to puke!"  Sure enough, as soon as I got in there he puked, luckily hitting the bucket.  That is where it began to get weird though.  His puke was clear, smooth, and very foamy.  It had no smell.  I don't know about you, but that is not what usually happens with the stomach flu here.   He proceeded to throw up throughout the day (15+ times) and it was always this same way.  He could not keep anything down and by the evening he was feeling very dizzy, tired, was super pale, had a fairly high heart-rate (we have a monitor for Bryce, so that is how I know how high it was) and was complaining that his tongue felt "spicy".  He also began to have little brown specks in the foamy puke.  I was considering taking him into the ER to have him checked out, but I decided to call the pediatrician on call first and see what they thought I should do.  He said that if we were really concerned we could take him in, but that it was probably just a stomach flu and that he should be better soon.  He did say that he sounded like he was getting dehydrated, so if he still could not hold anything down by morning to take him in.  

By the time I got off the phone with the doctor, Spencer had fallen asleep so I decided to just let him sleep.  He and I slept on the couches through the night and he continued to wake up and puke all night long.  At 4:30 that morning I woke up to him throwing up into his bucket and it was a lot...still odorless, clear and foamy.  He said that he had been super thirsty so he had gotten up and had 2 big drinks of water and a glass of sprite.  Obviously, he lost it all.  Since he had also gotten it all over himself and his blankets, we ran a bath for him and he soaked in there while I changed the sheets.  He then came out and fell asleep.  

That was Monday morning.  He continued to sleep the entire day.  He would wake up just briefly to drink a few sips of Coconut water or Gatorade which lucky stayed down all day, and then would fall back to sleep.  I was worried that he would not be able to sleep that night if he slept all day, but I figured he just needed to sleep off whatever his body was fighting.  I must admit that I was thinking that if he was my only child, I would have also been sleeping!  By evening though, I was getting pretty worried about him because he just could not wake up.  He ended up sleeping all through the night.  I didn't sleep well, because I was so worried about him that I kept waking up to check and make sure he was still okay.  Then at 4:30 this morning, he suddenly woke up and said, "I think I have enough electrolytes now!  I'm not even tired anymore."  Funny kid!  He was pretty weak and didn't do much today, but he was awake.  He also has very red eyes today.  I'm not sure what that is about.   I have heard that you can burst a blood vessel in your eyes from violent vomiting, but his was not violent at all, just a whole lot of it.  The poor kid also lost 6 pounds from this ordeal.  That's a lot when you only weighed 53 pounds to begin with!  Anyway, I'm glad he woke up and I hope he will be feeling even better tomorrow!


2 comments:

laurie said...

scary!! I would have totally panicked.

Debbie said...

oh, poor Spencer! I'm glad he is feeling better.