Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jasmine

Bryce had his monthly GI appointment today at PCH. It went well overall. He has actually lost a little bit of weight since the last appointment. He is down to 25 lbs. so the nutritionist has increased his feeds just a little bit. I took Annalise along today and boy was that an experience. She thought it was great to try and escape whenever she got the chance. Luckily she is cute and she was in a happy mood so most people didn't mind having her there.

While we were in the waiting room, Annalise was busy going from one place to another just chatting up a storm. At one point she stopped beside a little girl who we talked to for just a minute. Her name is Jasmine. She is probably 10 or 11 years old. She had such a strong, wonderful spirit that left such an impression on me that I hope I will never forget. Jasmine was in a wheelchair, wore cute pink glasses, had no hair, and had lost her legs from above the knee. She was beautiful! Looking at her you could see that she has been through a lot and most likely has a lot more that she will have to endure. And yet, as we talked with her, she smiled, and laughed and seemed so happy to be talking with us.

I know many people fear that which is different. I used to be the same way. Just a few years ago, I'm sure I would have walked right by this beautiful child and not said a word...only because of my own insecurities. How sad that would have been to have missed the chance to meet this wonderful daughter of God. I am so thankful that I have been blessed with a child who is "different". I would never have hoped or prayed for such a child, but now I feel so lucky that Bryce was willing to choose me as his mother and us as his family. That he is giving me the chance to meet some of the Lord's very most special spirits, even while I am on this earth. It's a whole different world. One that is impossible to understand until you are able to live it. I am so thankful also that my children will grow up knowing that people who look different are still people and it is OK to talk to them, to touch them, and to love them! Thank you Jasmine for making my day!

4 comments:

laurie said...

aww, make me cry. Blessings come in all sorts of ways, glad you are able to see yours.

Becca said...

:) Excellent post. I really like it.

Julie said...

Did Jasmine have cancer? What a beautiful post. It is true that sometimes we are able to share the life or experiences of these "choice souls in broken physical bodies."
Have you read the book by the Yorgasons called One Tattered Angel about a baby they adopted without a brain (only a spinal chord stem)? It is an amazing story but definitely a tear jerker.

Tammy said...

I'm not sure what she had, but I would guess it was cancer. I read that book many years ago and have read it many times since. I love it, but yes, a major tear jerker.