Friday, November 26, 2010

Back at Home

It's actually now Saturday morning. We got home about 4:00 yesterday afternoon. It's good to be home. It looks like John and the kids did great while we were away.

Bryce was discharged about noon, but he was sleeping so they said we could just stay and let him rest. About 2:00 he began waking up, so I began packing the last few things away. When I had my back turned to him, I heard him making some noises and turned around to see that he was throwing up again. Poor little guy. The nurse called Bryce's doctor to see if it was still OK to let him leave. She said that she thought it would be fine, but that I would just need to watch Bryce really closely and if he had any signs of dehydration or breathing issues to bring him right back. I was very ready to get out of the hospital, so I was glad we got to go although it made me nervous at the same time.

It took some work to get Bryce out to the car and into the special car seat they had for him. It didn't really support his legs to well, so I had to get kind-of creative. We may not be going out much in the next few weeks! Even just moving him is quite the ordeal...for him and me.

All ready to head for home.




Since we've been home, he has done well overall. We had some trouble getting his prescriptions filled, but luckily we had those by 7 last night. By that time though, he had spiked a fever. It was almost 103 degrees. I gave him his lortab and within an hour it had brought it down to about 101. I called his doctor and the nurse said that she doesn't think it is related to his surgery, but that he probably picked up some type of flu vires while in the hospital. Grrrr! So we alternated Lortab and Ibuprofen throughout the night for the fever and pain (along with his antibiotic for infection from the aspiration and Valium for muscle spasms). He is also just taking pedialyte for now instead of his usual formula to help him keep everything down.

He seemed very happy to see his brothers and sister this morning. He is pretty out of it still with all the meds he is taking, but the boys actually had him smiling and laughing a little bit. I think being home will help him a lot. As for me, I'm tired, but very glad to be home.

No comments: