Monday, September 14, 2009

Another Delay

Well, things at the hospital didn't go quite as we had hopped. We got there just fine and checked in at 8:30. About 10:30 I took Bryce into the procedure room and left him in the hands of the doctors there. They let me stay in the room with them and talk to him and rub his legs until he was asleep. I like when they let me do that. It's amazing how fast he falls asleep with that stuff. I always think how nice it would be to have a little bit of that sleepy gas at home! It might come in quite handy at bed time. =) Just kidding! It is so hard to see my baby on the bed there though and walk out the door. You would think I would be getting used to it after the number of times I have done it in this past year, but it doesn't seem to ever get easier! Before they take us to the procedure room, everyone who will be working on him comes and talks with us and explains what will be happening, lets us know about all of the risks and ask us all kinds of questions. Well, today when Dr. McOmber came in he explained that occasionally some part of the body will be in the way of where the tube is supposed to be inserted and so they have to stop the procedure and go in another way. He said that this is very rare, but he had to make sure I was aware of all of the possibilities. So I left Bryce in their care and went out to the waiting room. About 15 minutes later, Dr. Notrica, the surgeon who was working with Dr. McOmber, came into the waiting room and told me that they would not be able to place the tube today. He explained that when they got in there, they noticed that the colon was in the way and it was too risky to place the tube the normal way. He said that we would have to reschedule and come back another day and have it done in the O.R. I guess at that time he will open Bryce through his side, move his colon, and then place the tube. So sad! A few minutes later Dr. McOmber came out and talked with me a little bit longer and explained everything again. He said that his colon has probably moved because his stomach has gotten so small and there is room for things to move around more than they should. My poor baby. This is just killing me!

Anyway, so they came out and got me a few minutes later and said that Bryce was waking up and wanting Mom. So I went into the recovery room and sat and rocked him for about an hour until he was awake enough to drink a little bit and go home. When I got home, I called Dr. Notrica's office to reschedule, but just got the answering machine and of course did not get a call back this evening, so, I guess I will try again tomorrow. And hopefully soon we will be going through the emotional roller coaster of preparing for surgery again!

2 comments:

Valeen said...

Tammy, I am so sorry. It is so hard to make all the arrangements and then gear up emotionally only to have to do it all again. I'm keeping your whole family in my prayers. We sure love you guys!

Jake and Jenny said...

Sweet little Bryce! Hopefully this will be a big help to him. He is in our prayers!