Monday, September 28, 2009

He Has A Mic-Key!

There is so much to write about, but since I know that my time without everyone awake is short, I will just give you a quick update on Bryce and then fill you in on the rest when I get a chance. Bryce is home and is doing well. He had his surgery on Thursday the 24th at 10:30 AM. Dr. Notrica came out about 11:15 and said that everything had gone well and that his Mic-Key had been placed. A few minutes later I was taken back to recovery where Bryce was still sleeping it off. He began to wake not long after that so I held him in my arms. His wake up was much easier on him this time and that was nice. He continued to doze in and out throughout the day. About 12:30 I had them bring my mom back since I could tell we would be there for a while. A room was finally available for him about 5:30 that evening so we moved up there and he continued to sleep except for when the nurses would come in to take his blood pressure and everything.

He did well through the night although he did wake in pain and was given Morphine to help him get through it. Friday morning they began his feeding at 6 AM and he received food until about 2 PM at a rate of 30 ML (or one ounce)/hour. He was on pain meds and slept a good part of the day. The nutritionist and home health care nurse came in and taught me how to use the pump to do continuous feeds and how to do bolus feeds. We will be doing the continuous feeds through the night and hopefully soon we will be doing a couple of bolus feeds during the day. He seems to be handling the feedings really well. By Sunday morning he seemed to be back to his smiley self and only needed regular Tylenol for the pain. Hopefully he will continue to heal and begin to gain weight!
Here he is all hooked up to his IV and feeding
tube. You can see his feeding pump hanging
there on the pole.

Here is a picture of his tube hooked up to his button. He only has his tube connected while he is being fed. Otherwise it is just the small Mic-Key that can be covered with his clothes.

1 comment:

Jenn C. said...

I am so happy that this tube is working for Bryce.