Wednesday, September 1, 2010

4th of July

Well, since it is September 1st, I've decided that I am not going to wait any longer to blog about our fantastic summer trips. Everything else that keeps calling my name is just going to have to wait! I am determined to get at least one done today!

The first one was a trip to Sierra Vista over 4th of July weekend. Our friends, the Nulls, moved down there a while back and we have been trying to get down to see them for quite some time. This particular weekend, Amy's sister Becky and her family were also going down. Lucky thing is, we are also great friends with Layne and Becky Peterson who just happen to be in our ward! Bonus for us! So we all caravaned down to Sierra Vista Saturday morning. I had been up most of the night before not feeling well, so I was a little tired and nervous about being in the car for four hours. But, it must have just been anxiety/stress about getting ready or something I ate, because I was feeling much better by Saturday evening and no one else ended up sick! Thank goodness!

Here is Annalise "helping" me pack!







Bryce slept almost the whole way down. It is so nice that he can sit in his wheelchair while in the car now. He just seems so much more comfortable and safe then he was in a regular car seat.


Saturday evening we went over to the Null's neighbors parent's (did you get that?) house for a barbecue and some swimming. The water felt great, but the wind and air was quite cold, so you had to make a run for it when you got out of the pool. The dinner was delicious and the company couldn't have been better!








On Sunday, we went to church with the Nulls. They have a wonderful ward full of people who made us feel welcome.

Kaitlyn Peterson and Derrick Null
Just hanging out after church.


Spencer and William in their 4th of July shirts


Sunday afternoon, some of the adults decided to try their hand at Rock Band. We have Becky on the drums, John at the mic,


and Layne and Amy playing the guitars.




It didn't take long for the kids to realize that we were having a lot of fun and come in to join us.




That evening we headed off early to the fireworks. We had a picnic dinner and the kids had a ball playing tag on the grass. Annalise snagged Kaitlyn's pink chair right away and thought life was just great with a chair and a couple of handfuls of cheese whales!


The weather was perfect and the fireworks were the best I have ever seen...by a long shot! Seriously amazing. I've seen some good ones, but these were truly worth watching. I didn't get many pictures however, because poor Bryce was terrified of them and clung to me with his head buried in my shoulder throughout the entire show. A couple of times he would try to turn and look at them, but as soon as it was in the air, he would quickly turn and bury his head again. Here are just a couple of shots that I got.






Monday morning we got up early, said good-bye to the Petersons, and headed out to Karchner Caverns with the Nulls. For some reason I can't find any pictures from that part of the trip. I remember taking some, but don't know where they are. They were not of the inside of the cave itself, because cameras, purses, etc were not allowed in the cave. Oh well, if I find them, I will add them. Karchner Caverns was a neat place to visit. It is a cave that was discovered in 1974 and opened to the public in 1999. It has a pretty neat history that you can read all about at www.karchnercavern.com if you are interested. It was a bit dark and very humid inside which Bryce did not care for at all. Even though we were able to take his wheelchair in with us, John and I took turns carrying him and Annalise throughout the tour. The older kids seemed to really enjoy it though and I'm glad we went to see it.

We then got some lunch and headed for home to prepare for our next trip which we would leave for just 2 days later. We used this trip to Sierra Vista as a trial trip to see what we would need to do differently for our upcoming, longer road trips. It proved to not only help us prepare, but be a wonderful time spent with friends! Thanks Amy and Chris for hosting a great weekend!

2 comments:

laurie said...

I didn't realize Sierra Vista was that far away. It's good that you can still keep in touch. I'm now inspired to finish blogging our summer vacays.

Unknown said...

We had such a great time when you guys came to visit. We'll have to do that again sometime.