Friday, September 10, 2010

Scary

First of all, let me give you a little background information:
A few months ago a couple moved into the vacant house two doors down. A month or so ago, the wife's mother moved in with them. We have only talked to this lady a time or two, but John and I have both had very strange feelings when we are around her. As if something is just not right. If it was just me, I wouldn't think much of it because I am kind of paranoid, especially when it comes to my children. But John is not and it surprised me when he said the same thing after meeting her just once. A few days ago she came and said that her dogs had come out toward the boys while they were walking home from the bus and that she didn't want them to be afraid of her dogs. She asked me at that time if she could take my kids with her that evening at 7pm when she went to walk her dogs. It seemed a little weird and there was no way I was going to let the boys go alone with her so I had John go also. That was the only time John has ever had contact with her and I have only talked to her once before. Now onto the scary part:

Yesterday just before dinner, John had to run to a neighbors house to drop something off. He took Jacob and Annalise with him. Spencer and William were home waiting for them to return so that they could play a game with them. Well, Spencer got tired of waiting and decided to go down to the Bridges house to get them. I was nervous about letting him go by himself, but I figured it wouldn't be a big deal since they live so close and we have been there many times. Also, I figured John would be retuning soon and probably meet up with Spencer on the road.

Well, a few minutes later my neighbor and friend Stephanie was at my door with Spencer. I guess she was leaving to take her son to football practice and saw Spencer. She asked him were he was going and he told her. So she started to drive on, but as she did so, she noticed that this new neighbor was sitting in her car in her driveway. Stephanie got the feeling that she should wait and make sure everything was OK. I am so glad that she did, because just a few seconds later here comes this neighbor with Spencer in her car. They had passed the Bridge's house at this point and were headed out of our little neighborhood. Stephanie got out of her car, stopped the lady and asked her what she was doing with a boy she hardly knows in her car. The lady said she was taking him to his Dad's and how did Stephanie know that she didn't know Spencer. Stephanie told her that she knew because she is Spencer's mom's friend. She then told Spencer to get out of the car, which he did. And Stephanie brought him home.

It may have been nothing, but it was all just a little too strange and it scares me to think of what may have happened if Stephanie wasn't there or hadn't listened to the spirit when it told her to wait and make sure everything was OK. We had a long talk (again) with the boys last night about not getting into people's cars and watched our stranger safety video again. I hope that rule sinks in soon. So scary!

8 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh my gosh, that is so scary! I am so glad your friend was there. That is so creepy to have someone like that in your neighborhood!

Dacia said...

How scary! It's always good to trust your intuition.

Unknown said...

That is way too scary!!

Debbie said...

So what happened to the lady? Did you ever confront her? Does she still live just down the road? I am dying to know what she was doing with Spencer.

Tammy said...

I haven't seen her. John saw her out walking her dogs yesterday, but I don't think she saw him. I haven't confronted her and at this point, I don't plan to. I am just watching my kids and her place very closely. Something I find strange is that she didn't come down here. I would think that if something like that happened and you got caught, you would come down and try to apologize and make it right with the family...especially if it were innocent! The fact that she hasn't said anything to us, makes me even more leery of her.

Debbie said...

Seriously! That is so creepy! I am so glad that Spencer, and the rest of your kids are okay!

laurie said...

All I can say is "wow". I let my kids go down that way all the time, I'll have to have a little chat with them.

Becca said...

I'm glad you have a brave and inspired friend nearby that was there at the right moment.

There was a child abuser in my ward once. When the truth came out, you wouldn't believe how many people said they'd always felt weird about him. I say this not because that was necessarily what she was up to, but because I believe firmly in following our intuition in situations like this. Our spirit can pick up on things that our mind will dismiss.