Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Boating and Har-Ber Village

This post will have no pictures, because for some reason I have no pictures of these two events. Boating I can understand because I never did get out onto the boat. However, John and the older boys went out a time or two and had a blast. John's brother Will brought his boat and was kind enough to give rides to all who wanted them. Everybody had fun jumping off the boat into the lake, riding "Big Bertha", and some even got in some water skiing and wakeboarding. I wish I had some pictures of that.

Other than some pretty major bruises, there were no major bodily injuries from the boating adventures. However, unfortunately the first time John got up on the skies...and then went down, his wedding band was taken right off his finger by the gush of the water and swept away and lost forever! =( So sad!

The next adventure was Har-Ber Village. This is a little Village that was started by a couple named Harvey and Bernice (hence the name of the village) that consists of many buildings full of antiques. I really thought I had taken at least a couple of pictures here, but I guess not. I have to be honest, this was not one of our family's favorite stops. The main problem was the weather. It was just too hot and humid to be walking around outside looking at building after building of antiques. The kids grew bored really fast and Bryce was so not happy here. He and I and a couple of the kids found an air conditioned room and stayed here most of the time while John, Jacob, and Spencer went to look around a little bit. Pretty soon, Spencer and Jacob joined us. We did try to venture out again to look at a few things, but it didn't last long.

We made it back to the visitor's center which was also air conditioned and had many things to see, but not touch. At one point, Jacob got a bit too close to the rope and set off an alarm. That was probably the most exciting part of this adventure, but of course it was a little uncomfortable and we soon left. Luckily John was coming up at this point and we decided to go ahead and peel off from the others and head home. I felt bad leaving the family behind, but we just couldn't take anymore. Jacob was the only one who didn't want to leave. At one point we were looking at an antique couch and I was saying that I am just not really into antiques that I really know nothing about (like who they belonged to, etc.) and that I would much rather be at home in the air conditioning using my modern day items, Jacob said, "you mean to tell me that you would rather go home and sit on a new comfortable couch in an air conditioned room than look at all this old history?!" Well, actually Jacob, yes, yes I would! Maybe that is a bad attitude, but it was mine and I'm sure that the heat, humidity, and fussy kids weren't helping. The air and pool sure felt good when we got home though!

No comments: