Friday, February 20, 2009

Bryce's new chair

OK, I mentioned that Bryce's OT brought a chair for him last time she came for therapy. This thing is a lifesaver for both Bryce and his mom! We love it! Yesterday morning he sat in there and played for over 2 hours. I kept trying to take him out thinking he might be getting tired of it, or need a break or something and he made it very clear that he wanted to be in there playing. After his nap and a trip to pick up kids from school, he wanted to get back in there. I put him in and he played there for a couple of more hours. The chair is a specially made chair that positions him just right so that he has enough support of his lower body that he can now use his upper body much easier. She brought it so that we could work with him on his fine motor skills while he is supported there. Well, he has obviously decided that he loves the freedom it gives him. This morning he was playing in there and was able to color and draw, do puzzles and many other things that he has not been able to do very well unless he was being held. This is why it has become a lifesaver for me. I can't believe how much I have been able to get done these two days since we got the chair. I'm so glad that he loves it so much.




The left side of his body appears to be
weaker than his right, and he often keeps
a closed fist on the left. The little handle
thing that is suctioned to the tray gives him
something to hold onto for both support and
to get that hand involved. So far he has not
used it much because he is going to town
playing and building things with both hands!






One satisfied boy!



Look at him go with that left hand!




He was able to build towers 6 and 7 blocks high. Something
he hasn't been able to do without help. I propped the bucket
of blocks up so that he could reach in and get them by himself.
He built towers and knocked them down over and over while I
did laundry and other things around the house!

5 comments:

laurie said...

That just about made me cry. He is obviously happy!

Jake and Jenny said...

That is such a neat chair! That is so great that he is able to play and he is so happy!

Shelli said...

Pardon me while I wipe my tears. I am so excited for you both!

Valeen said...

Tammy I am so happy for you! I completely understand the joy when your son with special needs is able to finally do something that he couldn't before! You're an amazing mom! If you ever need to talk, I'm here....

Unknown said...

YIPPEY!!!!!! Way to go Bryce! All he needed was a desk with a seatbelt and he's ready to go to town. I'm so happy for you. It's amazing when you realize just how much time that one child was needing and then suddenly he's able to entertain himself. Everyone is so much happier when that happens!!