Friday, February 6, 2009

William gets sent to the Principal's office

And I discover that all phone calls that come from the teachers are not to tell you how wonderful your child is! Yesterday afternoon I got a call from Ms. Halal who is William's second grade teacher. She said that William had gotten in trouble while standing in line and had to be sent to the Principal's office. She said that the girl behind William called him some name and so William hit her in the face. Now, I know my son is no saint, but hitting some girl in the face just doesn't sound like something William would do...Jacob, my more physical child...maybe, but not William. But you never know. So anyway, his teacher did go on to say that this girl often plays with William and so she (the teacher) didn't think he hit her to be mean, but just in play, blah, blah, blah. She didn't tell me the name of the girl, but by the way she describe her relationship with William, I narrowed it down to two people that I thought it might be. One he is friends with, kind of like a brother/sister relationship and I could see them fooling around and getting in trouble. The other is a girl that has been bugging William since day one this year and just won't leave him alone. For example she thinks it is so funny to pull his glasses off of his face and throw them on the ground during recess. If I am being totally honest, there have been a few times that I have wanted to deck the girl myself. Anyway, so I thought if it was her, maybe he just got tired of her bugging him and hauled off and hit her.

So I was very anxious for William to get out of school so I could hear his side of the story. When I picked him up I ask him how his day was and he said, "it was ok" and then told me about being sent to the Principal's office. He said that the girl behind him in line called him Squilliam and then covered his eyes with her hands and wouldn't let him go. He said that he was trying to get her off of him and "accidentally" hit her in the face because he couldn't see. Then she went and told the teacher that he had hit her. I ask who the girl was and he said her name. Guess what, it was the girl that he has had trouble with before. We talked more about what the Principal had said and the fact that both kids had to sit out of the next recess and how important it is not to hit and to be careful, etc. I won't tell you what the girls name is, but I will say that we will not be naming our daughter Annabel! So anyway,my first child has earned a trip to the Principal's office. Luckily it wasn't for something more serious and hopefully it won't become a regular activity.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I would have slugged her too. Oops I probably shouldn't say that. But it cracked me up that you said it too.

Lulu said...

I can't imagine any of you kids doing anything to merrit a trip to the principals office! And for the record, I would have given her a good whack myself if I were in his position!

laurie said...

I would like to reassure you that it probably won't happen again, but... I like that our school is pretty strict about that. I had a son in a similar situation and he simply protected himself from a crazy kid walloping him, but he got suspended as well. He was involved. We didn't give him too much trouble at home for the same reasons you have mentioned. We don't like to encourage any kind of violence, but sometimes....

Unknown said...

Yeah, I've told you about Bradley punching a boy at school right? I'd have to agree with everyone else, William was definitely not "hitting a girl." And I just edited out my comment about the teacher. :)

Shelli said...

So not Annabel, huh? A Clayton kid in the principals office...definitely need to write that one down :-)