Sunday, February 1, 2009

A very busy week

It's been a very busy week full of Dr's appointments, therapy sessions, flat tires, a trip to the park, music classes, Grandma and Grandpa Clayton arriving in Tonga, and lots of other fun adventures. We started the week Monday morning with my second ultrasound. Since I'm "older" I get to have more detailed ultrasounds than in the past. Well, when we went in for the first one our baby was lying in such a way that they could not see the entire spine. It also looked like the placenta might be lower than it should be so I got to go back a month later to check everything out. Well, I love seeing my baby so I didn't mind at all. With this ultrasound we got lots of great news. First of all, yes, she is still a girl! We can move ahead with the pink plans! Also, everything looks great in there. She appears to be growing and developing just as she should be. She was moving all over the place and at one point I actually saw and felt her as she stretched one of her little arms out. It was super cool!

Tuesday Bryce went in for his 2 yr well check. I was very anxious to see if he had gained any weight since we were there in Nov. He has! It was just a small amount and he is still way under the growth charts in every area for his age, but at least it is finally moving in the right direction! I am so glad that his appetite has returned and that his desire and ability to eat and drink most everything is back. Now if we can get the rest of him to keep moving forward!!! Actually he is doing very well. We are now working with a fantastic neurologist/geneticist team at St. Joe's. We have yet to meet the geneticist, but Dr. Narayanan, the neurologist is incredible. He is the forth neurologist we have seen and the one that I believe we will be sticking with. The funny thing about him is that when he looked at Bryce's MRI's he came back into the room and said, "Well, those MRI's are definitely abnormal, but not in the normal way." I of course had him explain a little further and through talking with him discovered that the abnormalities on the first MRI were most likely missed because they were not what is normally seen when looking at an MRI for an answer to what is causing a white matter disorder. Anyway, it is all rather confusing, and we still don't have many answers, but I believe we have found someone who is willing and even excited to work on this puzzle.

On Wednesday the boys and I had another adventure as the tire of our van popped as we drove home from school. Luckily we were not to far from home and we had a stroller in the back. So we just loaded Bryce into the stroller, walked home and left the van there for John to go save once he got home from work. The boys thought that was the greatest thing. As soon as I said that it was a flat tire, William very excitedly said, "Great! Does that mean we get to walk home?" It actually was a very pleasant walk and now we have a brand new tire. I've been wanting a new van for quite some time now but with the recent construction of our guest house and barn/workshop, there is just no money for that right now. Well it looks like that old van is trying to become new again piece by piece. Last week it was a power steering pump that was "shooting" fluid out of it (yes, shooting, not dripping, but shooting) that we had to have fixed. This week the tire. Let's hope that is all for a while. I don't think our pocketbooks can handle much more!

And now for what is probably the best news of this week...John's parents arrived safely in Tonga for their mission. They spent about a week in the MTC and are now doing the rest of their learning in Tonga. They seem to be very happy. We enjoy hearing about their adventures and are looking forward to the next 18 months!

Well, I think that sums up this week for the most part. Hopefully this coming week I will find some time to get to the grocery store! Thank goodness for food storage!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I still am feeling guilty about the tire thing. Yea for a girl that is so exciting.

laurie said...

Very exciting news! Except for the van part..lol. The only time I really worry about stuff like that is the day I decide NOT to slip my shoes on for that short ride. That will be my luck.

Jake and Jenny said...

It is so fun to read about your family. Way to go William for finding the positive in a flat tire! Car repairs seem to come in bunches!