Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pedicure, Baby Update, and Car Trouble

Today has been a full and adventurous day. Alea was here with the kids so I took advantage of it by spending some time by myself today. First I went and got a pedicure and manicure. For some reason I always like to do that before I give birth. It has been a long time since I have seen my feet, much less done anything with them so they were pretty bad. The lady doing my feet kept saying, "you really need to come in more often. You need to take care of your feet. You're on them all the time." So true, but it was kind of funny at the same time. But now I have beautiful, soft feet and nails.

After that I stopped at Costco to pick up a few things that John and the boys had requested that we have on hand while I am in the hospital. You know, things like corn dogs, hot pockets, and chicken nuggets. Ok, I can humor them as long as I don't have to eat the stuff! That will make some easy meals for them while I am away also. I did treat myself to a berry smoothie while I was there which tasted so good and refreshing today.

I then returned home, put away the groceries, took a quick shower and headed to my 38 week OB appt. I had a goal to get through last Sunday before having her and once I made it I haven't had any more contractions...until today. I had a few while I was out running around. Nothing major, but I was curious if they were doing anything. Well, I found out that I am dilated to a 3 as of now. The Dr. said that it could be another week before she comes. That's were I was the morning Bryce was born and the Dr said the same thing that day. My mom asked me if I told him that I would see him tonight as I walked out the door. No, but that would have been funny. So who knows when she will arrive, but now I have a new goal. I need her to wait at least until after Biggest Loser tonight. It's the one show I watch on T.V. and it's the grand finale for heaven's sake, so maybe tomorrow would be good!

After the appointment I decided to run a quick errand before going to pick up kids from school. I didn't get too far before some guy got my attention at a red light and told me that a bunch of smoke was coming out of the back of the van. Now let me fill you in here. I was actually driving our huge 1980 diesel van instead of our minivan, because the minivan went into the shop last night due to leaking power steering fluid. So anyway, as I sat there at the red light smoke started billowing up from under the hood as well. I just keep thinking that I had to get into the parking lot up ahead and stop the car and that I couldn't wait for the light. So I did something that I probably shouldn't have done, but it was a spur of the moment decision. I made sure no one was coming and went on through the light. Bad, I know, but hey what could I do? So I got to the parking lot turned in and as I am turning this huge van into the lot, it stalls and will not move anymore. So what am I suppose to do now? I have people trying to turn in behind me and honking at me. The hazards wouldn't go on, so I just tried to motion for them to go around. Then I called John at work and he said he would be right over. So in the meantime I go to the back of the van and try to flag people around it. The picture in my mind of this just makes me laugh. This big 'ol pregnant lady standing behind this huge white work truck in 100+ degree weather trying to direct traffic around a stalled vehicle. Luckily there are good people in this world who stopped to help. One couple tried to push it, but that van is just too heavy and we were going uphill into the parking lot. Soon a lady in a truck came by and said that she would push me in with her truck. That worked, so luckily I was able to get out of the way of traffic. When I got into the lot, I sighed a sigh of relief and then remembered that I was suppose to be picking up William from school and that he would be out in about 15 minutes. So I did some quick calling around and luckily a good friend came through for me and went to pick him up or arranged something so that he arrived home safely from school. Soon after that John came, took me home and headed back to see what he could do for the poor van. It appears that the radiator hose clamp, which had to be loosened when he was changing some belts not long ago, wasn't tightened which caused a piece to pop off causing the car to overheat. Oops! We'll soon find out if the car will survive.

So that brings us to now. Hopefully tonight will be less eventful. I'm so thankful for people, friends and people I don't know who are willing to help. I am also very glad that I did not have the boys with me this afternoon although they probably would have thought it was a great adventure!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice image of you standing behind the smoking beastly van. Very nice! I don't know if I should wish that the vehicle survives or not. I'll leave that decision up to you, whatever you wish for, I add my wishes upon them in the same direction. :-)

Heather said...

I am so glad you laugh about it. It was so hot yesterday and thinking of you out there pregnant in the heat makes me feel so bad for you. You really need to put my number on speed dial.

Shelli said...

I can see it. Stay puffed is a great nickname