Monday, May 25, 2009

The Story

After having random contractions throughout the day they finally began settling into a pattern of about every 4 minutes by Saturday afternoon. John talked me out of making a quick run to Basha's grocery store and instead we headed to the hospital to see if any progress was being made. Our first stop was Triage room #3 where they asked us a bunch of questions, hooked up the monitors, and my contractions slowed way down...Grrr! Dr. Leonard happened to be at the hospital delivering a baby and stopped by to see us. They were finding the baby's heartbeat way up high and worried that she might have turned. They checked her out with ultrasound and luckily she was still head down, but unfortunately still way up high. He had us walk for about an hour. Luckily that got the contractions moving again and when we returned they decided to go ahead and admit me. Hurrah!


Once we got into the room , John left to get some dinner and I did a little more walking to see if we could get the contractions to do anything. I was still at a 4. About an hour later the nurse checked me and I was at about 4 and a half. They decided to give me some pitocin to help things along. The Dr wasn't able to break my water, because the baby was still up so high. Since I knew I wanted an epidural at some point, we decided to get it before starting the pitocin. That turned out to be a nightmare and I almost had to go without. The first anaesthesiologist that came in kept hitting bone and finally gave up after 4 trys saying that he did not want to hurt me. Well, I was more concerned about the "hurt" that would still be on it's way if I didn't get the epidural. Anyway, the nurse also decided that we should get someone else and try again. Luckily there was someone else who was willing to come in and within 2 trys he got it in and my legs began to tingle. I don't think tingly legs have ever felt so good! But then I started feeling really nauseous and lightheaded and we realized that my blood pressure had dropped really low. They pumped me full of a bunch of fluids and luckily I soon felt better. They then turned on the pitocin and I made it to a 5, which is where I stayed most of the night. They continued to up the pitocin, but I just wasn't making much progress. Also the baby was not descending. The Dr couldn't break my water because she was just too high still. About 3:00 in the morning the baby's heart rate began to drop with each contraction. We began fearing that a c-section may be on the way if she didn't drop soon or we were not able to get her heart rate stabilized. However, they stopped upping the pitocin, began giving me oxygen and having me turn from side to side every 20 minutes. Luckily it seemed to help. Then about 5 am, I started really feeling the contractions and asked if we could up the epidural meds. They gave me a boost of the stuff and then the nurse checked me again. Finally I was between an 8 and 9 so they cut off the pitocin completely and called the Dr. He showed up about a 1/2 hour later, checked and said I was fully dilated and he broke my water. Then they realized there was still a little lip of cervix left that had been pushed back by the bag of waters and so we had to wait a bit longer for that to disappear. Luckily it wasn't long and soon I was able to push. It took all of maybe 10 minutes of pushing and she was here! She had the cord wrapped around her neck once and was rather white when she first came out, but with a quick move on the Dr's part, he got it off from around her neck, delivered the rest of her, and gave her a good rub down which got her crying and turning a beautiful pink rather quickly. It was the best sound I had heard all night!

John was able to get a few good hours of sleep during the night. I woke him up as they began getting everything ready to deliver the baby. He said that he was going to take a quick shower and I told him he better hurry so he didn't miss it. Luckily he heard someone say "grab that leg" and made it out for the final minutes of pushing before she was born! She is so beautiful and we are so thankful that she is here!

No comments: